Keeping your WordPress site up to date is an essential step in running a secure and functional website. All One-Click installs in the panel are always set to update automatically (unless you specifically turn it off). If your site is not a One-Click install, you will need to manually update it. This article walks you through different ways to manually update your WordPress website.
Before you begin #
Before you make any changes to your site, it’s a good idea to make a backup of your WordPress installation. View the following articles for further information on backing up your website:
Updating your core WordPress files #
You can use either the WordPress dashboard or wp-cli to update your core WordPress files.
Via the WordPress dashboard #
- Log into your WordPress site.
- On the left menu, choose ‘Dashboard > Updates’.
- Click the Update Now button.
Via wp-cli #
- Log into your server via SSH.
- Navigate to your website’s directory.
- Run the following command to download and install the updated WordPress files:
[server]$ wp core update